The Quill Stop Spindle Brake Deluxe provides a quick and accurate way to set the quill depth of cut on the Grizzly G0704 mill, and all Weiss BF20 compatible milling machines. The Spindle Brake Deluxe kit adds a spring plunger and electromagnetic locking mechanism which locks the spindle and cuts power to the mill when engaged for additional safety, much like pressing the E-Stop switch when changing a tool. This leaves both hands free to perform a tool change.
Simple to Operate
- Quill Stop. Simply press the button and the nut disengages from the thread. Slide to desired position and release the button to engage the threads. Turning the nut then allows for precision micro-adjustments of depth of cut.
- Spindle Brake. Pull and unlock the spring plunger so that the nose contacts the spindle. Rotate the spindle by hand until the spring plunger nose finds the hole in the spindle. Power to the mill is disabled when the spring plunger is engaged. When the tool change is complete, retract and lock the spring plunger in the retracted position. Power is then restored to the mill.
Useful in Many Ways
- The primary purpose of the Quill Stop is to set an accurate and consistent depth of cut for repeated machining operations including boring, chamfering, and milling.
- The Quill Stop is also very handy in performing single or repeated chamfering of parts. To setup the chamfer the first time on a part, turn the mill off and simply lower the cutter to the top of the part, lock the fine feed knob, and back-off one full turn (turn the Button Nut clockwise as viewed from the top). Then start the mill and turn the Button Nut on the Quill Stop counter clockwise in small increments until the cutter contacts the part. Then continue turning the Button Nut counter clockwise and alternately lowering the quill until the desired chamfer is achieved.
- Installs in minutes and requires a slight modification to the mill (drill & tap 2, 1/4-20 holes in the side of the machine head).