The Quill Stop Spindle Brake provides a quick and accurate way to set the quill depth of cut on the Grizzly G0704 mill, and all Weiss BF20 compatible milling machines. The Spindle Brake component provides a fixed point at the lower front of the mill head through which to insert the spindle locking pin to lock the spindle. This leaves both hands free to perform a tool change.
A key feature of this product is that it may be upgraded to a Spindle Brake Deluxe after the original purchase. The Spindle Brake Deluxe kit adds a spring plunger and electromagnetic locking mechanism which locks the spindle and cuts power to the mill when engaged for additional safety, much like pressing the E-Stop switch when changing a tool.
Simple to Operate
- Quill Stop. Simply press the button and the nut disengages from the thread. Slide to desired position and release the button to engage the threads. Turning the nut then allows for precision micro-adjustments of depth of cut.
- Spindle Brake. Insert the spindle lock pin through the tapered hole in the Spindle Brake block, rotate the spindle by hand until the pin finds the hole in the spindle.
Useful in Many Ways
- The primary purpose of the Quill Stop is to set an accurate and consistent depth of cut for repeated machining operations including boring, chamfering, and milling.
- The Quill Stop is also very handy in performing single or repeated chamfering of parts. To setup the chamfer the first time on a part, turn the mill off and simply lower the cutter to the top of the part, lock the fine feed knob, and back-off one full turn (turn the Button Nut clockwise as viewed from the top). Then start the mill and turn the Button Nut on the Quill Stop counter clockwise in small increments until the cutter contacts the part. Then continue turning the Button Nut counter clockwise and alternately lowering the quill until the desired chamfer is achieved.
- Installs in minutes and requires a slight modification to the mill (drill & tap 2, 1/4-20 holes in machine head).